Pastor Greg was off-island for a medical procedure this past Sunday so our Council President, Knut Hovde, filled in and spoke about “Jesus: The Bread of Life.” There is no “video footage” of this message since Pastor Greg usually operates the camera and he was not here.
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. ~ Colossians 3:17
“Christianity is not a RELIGION ABOUT Jesus! Christianity is a RELATIONSHIP WITH Jesus!” ~ Pastor Greg
God loves you and offers a wonderful plan for your life. ~ The 1st Spiritual Law
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to Me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in Me shall never thirst.” ~ John 6:35
Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near. ~ Isaiah 55:6
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God. ~ John 6:68
When they found Him on the other side of the sea, they said to Him, “Rabbi, when did You come here?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly I say to you, you are seeking Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on Him God the Father has set His seal.” ~ John 6:25b-27
For the bread of God is He who comes down from Heaven and gives life to the world. ~ John 6:33
For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. ~ John 6:40
No one comes to me unless the Father who sent Me draws him. ~ John 6:44
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life.~ John 6:47-48
READ: John 6:35-66 (for full context) and Matthew 4:4DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1) This is some pretty controversial stuff Jesus is saying here. It was even the breaking point for many of His disciples who stopped following Him after this. Why do you think it bothered them so much?
2) Were they missing His actual point?
3) How would you paraphrase it and explain it to a non-Christian friend so they would understand the true meaning of His words?
READ: Luke 24:30-31DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1) Do you think it is significant that they recognized Jesus only when He broke the bread?
2) Why do you think that is?
3) What other event in their life with Jesus might they have flashed back to in that moment?
READ: Acts 2:42DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1) What is “the breaking of bread?” What does the word DEVOTED mean?
2) Luke says they DEVOTED themselves to “the FELLOWSHIP of the BREAKING of BREAD.” This first New Testament Church is given to us a model for ALL churches in all times and cultures to follow. When you look at our church, how DEVOTED are we to learning apostolic teaching, fellowshipping with the breaking of bread and prayer?
2) How often should we be engaging in these things at our church?
3) What keeps people from being devoted to these things?
4) Re-read Colossians 3:17.