In this negative and jaded world we live in, it sometimes feels like Mission: Impossible to try to spread the Good News of God’s love and guidance for the human beings He created. It seems many people have already written off the possibility of God and have an image of Him, and His followers, that isn’t really accurate. In August and September, Pastor G is going to walk us through eight key passages in the Gospel of John that show us that sharing the Good News of Jesus with our village is actually Mission: Possible.
In this message, from week one, he starts at the end of John’s Gospel and teaches us John’s purpose for writing his Gospel. Pastor G always challenges us to rediscover our passion for Personal Evangelism.
Studies still show ninety-six percent of the unchurched are at least somewhat likely to attend church if they are simply invited by a trusted friend or family member.
“Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to spread the Good News of the Gospel in Waikoloa Village.” ~ Pastor G
I have a strong conviction that if the people who have been programmed to hate or distrust or misunderstand Christianity could ever get past all of their preconceived objections and all the Christians who have failed them or offended them and actually truly hear and understand the basic truth of Jesus’ immense love for the humanity that He created I don’t believe anyone would reject His invitation to save them and give them eternal life. ~ Pastor G
Only twenty-one percent of active churchgoers EVER invite ANYONE to church.
Only two percent of active churchgoers EVER invite an actual UNCHURCHED person to church.
Only two percent of Christians will EVER personally lead ONE other person to receive Christ as their Lord and Savior.
This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to ALL the nations, and THEN the end will come. ~ Matthew 24:14
Euaggelion (GREEK) ~ Gospel (ENGLISH) ~ Good News
Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name. ~ John 20:30-31
This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and wrote these things, and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written. ~ John 21:24-25
THREE BIG IDEAS IN JOHN 20:31
BIG IDEA #1: Jesus is the Christ.
BIG IDEA #2: Jesus is the Son of God.
BIG IDEA #3: Believing you may have life in His name.
But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” ~ Matthew 22:34-40
The Great Commandment is: Love God and Love People.
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” ~ Matthew 28:18-20
A Great Commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to grow a Great Church!
TWO SIMPLE INVITATIONS FOR YOUR FRIEND
1) Would you like to attend church with me this week to hear more about the positive benefits of following Jesus?
2) Would you like to begin a relationship with Jesus like the one I just described to you?
ALOHA GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1) Pastor Greg mentioned studies show 96% of unchurched people answer that they would possibly be open to attending a church if a trusted friend or family member recommended it and invited them. He also mentioned studies show only 2% of all churchgoing Christians ever invite a single person to church or a single person to become a follower of Christ in their entire life. Have you ever led anyone to Christ? Can you share the story with your Aloha Group? How many people have you invited to attend our church with you so far in 2018?
READ: Matthew 24:14
1) Do you believe this verse from the Bible? Why or why not?
2) If this is true, and only 2% of Christians are actively doing what this verse indicates we should be doing, how long do you think it will be before Jesus returns?
READ: John 20:30-31
1) Pastor Greg went into great depth on verse 31. Have you reached the point in your life where you believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and believing on Him you have gained eternal life? Why or why not?
2) Pastor Greg mentioned that John indicates in this passage that his purpose for sharing his Gospel is so that everyone who reads it can believe these things and be saved. If you struggle with this or if anyone you know struggles with them, John indicates you might understand it better if you read and study his book. How often do you read and study the Gospel and the other books of the Bible?
READ: Matthew 22:34-40
1) Pastor Greg went into detail about God’s commandment to love our neighbors the way we want to be loved. Pastor Greg likened cancer to sin. He pointed out that we would all tell a friend if we had found the cure to cancer but we tend to balk at talking about Jesus who is the cure for sin. Do you agree?
2) What is the difference? Why do you think we are scared to talk about our faith with people, even though we believe we have the only cure for sin and death?
READ: Matthew 28:18-20
1) Who is Jesus commanding to do this?
2) Does this only apply to the apostles gathered around Him or does it apply to all of us at followers of Christ?
3) Pastor Greg shared two sample invitations you can use to invite friends to Church and to follow Jesus. How likely are you to actively invite someone to church this week? Explain your answer to your Aloha Group.