Pastor G continues his message series on how Waikoloa Community Church is “A Place To Belong.” This week his focus on how this is “A Place To Find Truth.” He shares that despite our modern bent toward relativism, truth is actually Divine, Singular and Absolute.
Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the TRUTH. Everyone who is of the TRUTH hears My voice.” Pilate said to Him, “What is TRUTH?” … ~ John 18:37-38a
For they exchanged the TRUTH of God for lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. ~ Romans 1:25
THREE FACTS ABOUT TRUTH
1)Truth is DIVINE!
Alétheia (GREEK) ~~ Truth (ENGLISH)
Synonymous for”reality” as opposed to “illusion.” Refers to truth of idea, to reality, to sincerity, to truth in the moral sphere.
2) Truth is SINGULAR!
… I am THE way, and THE truth, and THE life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. ~ John 14:6
3) Truth is ABSOLUTE!
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and TRUTH… For the Law was given through Moses; grace and TRUTH were realized through Jesus Christ. ~ John 1:14, 17
But an hour is coming, and now is, when the TRUE worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and TRUTH; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and TRUTH.” ~ John 4:23-24
So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “IF you continue in My word, THEN you are TRULY disciples of Mine; and you will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will make you free.” ~ John 8:31-32
Jesus answered them,
TRULY, TRULY I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin … So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. ~ John 8:34, 36
ALOHA GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
READ: John 18:37-38a and Romans 1:25
1) What does Jesus mean when He says “Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice.”? What does it mean to be a person who is “of the truth?” Can people who are not “of the truth” hear His voice?
2) Jesus says He was born into the word for the purpose of testifying to the truth. What does He mean? What truth is He giving testimony about and how does He go about that testimony?
3) What do you think Pilate means when he asks Jesus “What is truth?” Do you think he is sincerely looking for an answer or is this a sarcastic response? Do you think Pilate believes in absolute truth? Why or why not?
4) What is it about the notion of absolute truth, absolute right and wrong that is hard for so many people to accept? Do you believe in this truth that Jesus came to testify about? Why or why not?
5) Do you agree with Paul here in Romans 1? In what way(s) have people exchanged the truth for a lie? In what ways do people serve the creature rather than the Creator?
READ: John 14:1-6
1) What is the context of Jesus’ statement in verse 6? He says He is “the way.” The way to what?
2) Jesus also refers to Himself being THE truth and THE life. What does He mean? Do you say any proof for His claims? Is it possible for Jesus to be A way, A life and A truth among many equal and valid options? Is it possible that “all roads lead to heaven” as long as you are sincere and stick to living “your truth?” Why or why not?
READ: John 4:23-24 and John 8:31-36
1) Jesus refers to “true worshipers.” Is there such a thing as a “false worshiper?” What does that look like? What would motivate someone to be a “false worshiper?” What does it mean to worship God in Spirit and in Truth? What does that kind of worship look like? How does it take place? How do you know if you are doing it correctly?
2) How does knowing the truth set you free? What does it set you free from? Can people who reject Jesus as THE WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE still be free without Him Why or why not? What responsibility do we have to those people if we have been freed by knowing and accepting the truth? Explain your answer.